Swan B&W on Flickr.
Liverpool Cathedral on Flickr.
St James’ Cemetery began life in the 1600s as a sandstone quarry.
The quarrymen constructed a tunnel to ferry the stone to and from the site. This tunnel - although still in existence is blocked up. By 1825 the useful stone from the quarry had been exhausted and the town council had to decide what was to be done with the quarry.
The corporation raised nearly £20,000 by public subscription and employed architect John Foster (1786-1846) to design and lay out a cemetery along the same lines of the Pere-la-Chaise, Paris. This new cemetery would relieve the pressure on the Low Hill Cemetery, Everton where it was getting difficult to prepare a new grave without disturbing another corpse! The cemetery soon became well used with up to 8 burials per day during the Victorian era. It finally closed in July 1936, when, after 57,774 burials it was considered full.